CrossFit Gym Insurance: What You Need to Know
You spend countless hours preparing and equipping your CrossFit box and ensuring that you have put your coaches through Level 1 to 4 certification courses. You take the time to ensure all your equipment is safe and up to par and your box is well protected, but who is protecting you?
CrossFit is all the rage and one of the most popular ways to stay fit, get in shape, build a sense of community, and lead a healthy lifestyle. As a CrossFit box (gym) owner, you understand the essence of fitness and a healthy lifestyle to your customers and take pride in helping them achieve it.
However, safety is still your primary concern. Apart from providing a safe workout space for your clients, know that accidents happen. Therefore, you also need to have insurance coverage to safeguard your business.
Types of CrossFit Gym Insurance Covers
1. General Liability Business Insurance
No matter how safe you make your gym and the level of certification you require from your trainers, accidents happen, and people get hurt. Hence, it is essential to prepare for this inevitability by having general liability business insurance within your policy.
General liability insurance covers doctor bills for broken fingers, twisted ankles, and other similar injuries that occur within your gym or during your workout sessions. Additionally, the policy covers the repair and replacement of workout gear if it is your gym’s fault. This policy can also cover legal costs like:
- Legal settlements that your gym must pay if you lose a case.
- Lawyer fees, witness expenses, and other costs associated with obtaining the evidence you require to defend your business.
- Time away from your gym that you spent working on a case.
General liability insurance covers the following:
- Property Damage: Covers costs related to property destruction that a claimant proves is your gym’s fault.
- Bodily Injury: If anybody gets hurt at your fitness premises, this coverage will pay for any expenses associated with the resultant medical care.
- Medical Payments: It pays for medical bills resulting from a gym member who gets injured on your premises, but their injury does not meet the requirements to file a lawsuit.
- Damage to Rented Premises: It covers any damages your landlord accuses you of causing if you rent space for your gym.
- Personal and Advertising Injuries: It covers any legal expenses related to charges such as libel, slander, or copyright infringement.
2. Professional Liability Insurance
Professional liability insurance covers the medical bills of any individual who gets injured or hurt under the gym’s supervision. For example, if you provide coaching and home training services, professional liability coverage helps pay for medical expenses and other possible legal costs, such as court fees.
3. Abuse and Molestation Insurance
The policy covers any claim related to molestation or abuse on your business property. You want to make all your members feel safe and secure within your gym and with your trainers.
4. Worker’s Compensation Protection Insurance
If your CrossFit gym has a full staff, you need to take workers’ compensation insurance. Not only is this coverage mandatory, but it is also vital for any of your employees who get injured while performing their duties. It can help injured employees secure money for their medical bills, missed wages replacement, disaster benefits, and even death benefits. What’s more, workers’ compensation can help reduce your gym’s liability for work-related injuries and illnesses.
5. Excess Liability Insurance
Sometimes, your general liability insurance is not sufficient to provide enough coverage for the accidents and incidents that happen at your CrossFit gym. In such cases, it’s crucial to have excess liability insurance that can increase your liability limits while reducing your chances of paying for damages out-of-pocket.
6. Business Personal Property (BPP) Insurance
As a CrossFit Affiliate gym owner, you are responsible for ensuring that your box is clean and well-maintained for your members. However, sometimes you may not have the funds necessary to carry out repairs, especially after acts of vandalism or a disaster that destroys your premises. Business personal property insurance helps you avoid such issues and get the money you require for the repairs.
7. Special Event Insurance
Special event insurance helps cover CrossFit special events’ risks that fall outside of your regular gym business. It comes in handy if you host special events throughout the year.
CrossFit Gym Insurance Costs
The key to getting the right insurance plan for you is finding the best fit for your business needs. You want to protect all your needs and interests but not pay through the nose for things that don’t apply to you. The primary factors that determine the cost of your CrossFit insurance premium include:
- Gross revenue
- The value of the property you want to insure
- Membership at your gym
- Availability of swimming pools, lake swims, climbing walls, pegboards, childcare areas, training children athletes (under 18 years old)
Below are the annual insurance premiums that CrossFit RRG affiliate gyms pay:
- Liability insurance – $1,185 (for boxes earning under $125,000 annually)
- Property insurance – $200 (until $1000 contribution is met)
The following coverage (claims limits) is included in CrossFit RRG affiliate Gym Insurance under general liability business insurance and professional liability insurance:
1. General Liability Coverage
- Per occurrence liability limit – $1,000,000
- Annual aggregate general liability – $3,000,000
- Medical expenses per person – $5,000
- Damage to rented premise limit – $300,000
- Personal and advertising injury limit – 1,000,000
- Abuse and molestation limit – $100,000
- Products completed operations aggregate – $1,000,000
- Communicable disease limit – $250,000
2. Professional Liability Coverage
- Professional liability per occurrence – $1,000,000
- Professional liability annual aggregate – $3,000,000
- Communicable disease limit – $250,000
Why Chose CrossFit Risk Retention Group (RRG)?
At CrossFit RRG, we understand that your gym is your livelihood and the essence of protecting it and your financial interests tied to it. We also know that it is not always easy navigating your gym’s management, your customers’ fitness and safety, and insurance, and still get time for your WOD.
That’s why we are ready to help. We provide the following covers that our CrossFit community needs:
- Affiliate Coverage
- Trainer Coverage
- Infant Swimming Resource (ISR) Liability Coverage
- Brokers Coverage
Contact us today to go over your CrossFit gym insurance options or call us at 310-937-2007 for any questions you have.